With the participation of dozens of citizens of all ages, the Municipality of Chania continued on Sunday, March 24, the program that organizes and implements for the second consecutive year entitled “I know and respect my city”, including free guided tours of historical and cultural sites, museums and archaeological sites, in collaboration with scientific and professional bodies of culture and tourism.
The program of Sunday, March 24, included a tour by the President of the Maritime Museum of Crete, M. Petrakis, in the Egyptian Lighthouse of Chania and the permanent exhibition of Ancient and Traditional Naval Architecture – Minoan Ship of the Maritime Museum of Crete, during which the participating citizens were “initiated” in the secrets of the Lighthouse – the trademark of Chania – and they admired the Minoan ship, the main exhibit of the Maritime Museum of Crete, which is a means of promoting Cretan culture over the centuries. The present at the tour gave from the Municipal Authority the Deputy Mayor of the Old City Mr. Xinidis.
Every Sunday morning (11.00) and a tour!
The “I know and respect my city” program of the Municipality of Chania will be held every Sunday until the end of May 2013 with the start of each tour at 11.00 am. Participation in the program is free of charge for all, with a prerequisite but timely participation to ensure the quality of the tour guide service. So far, three (3) tours have taken place and up to May eight (8) tours will be held as follows:
• 31/03/2013: Guided tour of “Old Town of Chania” (from the guides of Chania / Meeting Point – Starting point: Municipal Market Square)
• 07/04/2013: Guided tour of “Old Town of Chania” (from the guides of Chania / Meeting Point – Starting point: Plateia of the Municipal Market)
• 14/04/2013: Guided Tour at the “Byzantine Museum and Western Fortifications of Chania” (by Mr. Michalis Andrianakis / Meeting Point: Plateau Talo – Old Port)
• 21/04/2013: Tour to “Ancient Aptera” (by the Archaeologist Mrs. Vana Niniou-Kindeli / Meeting Point: Central Square of Aptera)
• 28/04/2013: “Chania Lighthouse & Permanent exhibition of Ancient and Traditional Naval Architecture – Minoan Ship” (by the President of the Maritime Museum of Crete Mr. Manolis Petrakis / Meeting Point: Neorion of Moro – Venetian Harbor)
May of 2013
• 12/05/2013: Guided tour of the “Naval Museum of Crete” (by the President of the Maritime Museum Mr. Manolis Petrakis / Meeting Point: Maritime Museum of Crete)
• 19/05/2013: Tour to the “Architectural Monuments of Chania” (by the Architecture Association of Chania / Meeting Point – Starting Point: Municipal Market Square)
• 26/05/2013: Guided Tour at the “Museum of Typography” (by the Museum Manager Elia Koumi / 10:30 am Departure from the Municipal Market Square)
For more information and participation requests, those who are interested can contact the Tourism Department of the Municipality of Chania from Monday to Friday from 10:00 to 13:00 at 28213 41666 or on e-mail: email@example.com