The Maritime Museum of Crete, which for 40 consecutive years since its foundation, was an integral part of the Firkas Fortress and with a heavy sense of responsibility of the Members of the Board of Directors for the preservation of the cultural heritage and the maritime tradition of our country it would not be possible not to participate actively in these events.
For these reasons and knowing the excellent philatelic relationship that has developed in recent years with ELTA, has timely proposed the creation of stamps and their inclusion in the context of the historic events of 2013.
This proposal was not only accepted but also used material from our Museum. So, on December 2, 2013 (one day after the Union due to the holidays of our post offices) two stonemasons were presented. The first one presents an unveiled map of our Museum from the donation of Mr. Kostas Tzortzakis, Clouverius, Crete 1676 Crete with a price of 0.72 € and the other a painting of the Fortress of Firka and the Greek Flag waving with a price of 1.00 € taken from a photograph of our archive that the photographer, Mr. Fanis Manousakis, has provided.
These two outstanding stamps are part of the philatelic series of ELTA “NATIONAL HISTORICAL EVENTS 1913 PART C”
- The Museum